[tripleo] Plan around switching Podman to default

James Slagle james.slagle at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 19:02:26 UTC 2019

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 11:59 AM Emilien Macchi <emilien at redhat.com> wrote:

> Sorry I forgot to mention Standalone, but it's in the same situation as Overcloud.
> Let's keep Docker by default on both until CentOS8 is out.
>
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 11:48 AM Emilien Macchi <emilien at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> Pacemaker provided by CentOS7 doesn't work with Podman, and only works with Docker.
>>
>> Podman is already the default on the Undercloud, and this is fine, as we don't deploy Pacemaker on this node.
>> However for the Overcloud, it causes problem as upstream is tested on CentOS7 and downstream is being tested on RHEL8.
>>
>> With that said, I propose that we:
>> - Keep Docker as the default on the Overcloud until CentOS8 is out.
>> - Switch downstream to use Podman on the Overcloud (since we run RHEL8 it's fine).
>> - Switch all CI jobs except OVB to NOT deploy Pacemaker and switch to Podman.
>> - Once CentOS8 is out, we revert the downstream only patch and land it upstream.

I'd prefer to keep some gating jobs (non-OVB) that deploy pacemaker,
so that we have coverage of pacemaker in the gate.  I'm not sure if
that's what your followup comment about standalone was implying. If it
was then the plan sounds ok to me, otherwise I'd be concerned about
the loss of pacemaker coverage.

--
-- James Slagle