[blazar] Question about Interaction between Ironic and Blazar

Pierre Riteau pierre at stackhpc.com
Thu Feb 14 12:01:46 UTC 2019

Hi,

The current architecture of Blazar relies on Nova host aggregates for
physical host reservation.
Unfortunately, Nova host aggregates don't play well with Ironic, as
they are associated with nova-compute services instead of individual
compute hosts.
The Blazar community is well aware of this issue:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/blazar/+spec/ironic-compatibility
We are planning to move to placement aggregates which will remove this
limitation. However, this may only happen in the Train release.

One of the main Blazar deployment is Chameleon
(https://www.chameleoncloud.org/), which is a bare-metal cloud using
Ironic. Chameleon has used two different workarounds to this issue.
Originally, Nova was modified so that a nova-compute service would
only manage one Ironic bare-metal node. By running as many
nova-compute services as there were bare-metal nodes, host aggregates
could be used by Blazar.
More recently, Chameleon has been using Nova patches developed by Jay
Pipes which allow compute nodes (and thus Ironic nodes) to be
associated with host aggregates (see
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/526753/). However, this patch series
was not accepted following discussion at the Rocky PTG in Dublin, with
placement aggregates being preferred.

I am happy to help you adapt Blazar to your requirements. We have a
weekly meeting on Tuesdays, however it's at 0900 UTC which is not
convenient for US timezones. Feel free to join #openstack-blazar on
freenode, I am often online during UTC daytime.

Best wishes,
Pierre Riteau (Blazar PTL for the Stein cycle)