[tc] The future of the "Help most needed" list

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Wed Feb 13 02:50:59 UTC 2019

 ---- On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 06:38:28 +0900 Colleen Murphy <colleen at gazlene.net> wrote ----
> [...]
 > > needs to be in help-wanted list and who will serve as the mentor.
 > > 3. The list has to be updated in every developement cycle. It can be
 > > empty if any project team does not need help during that cycle or few
 > > items can be carry-forward if those are still a priority and have mentor
 > > mapping.
 > > 4. FC SIG,  D&I WG, Mentoring team use that list and publish in all
 > > possible place. Redirect new contributors to that list depends on the
 > > contributor interested area. This will be the key role to make help-
 > > wanted-list success.
 > >
 > > -gmann
 > >
 > >  >  Thierry Carrez (ttx)
 > >  >
 > >  > -Kendall (diablo_rojo)
 > >

 > I feel like there is a bit of a disconnect between what the TC is asking for
 > and what the current mentoring organizations are designed to provide. Thierry
 > framed this as a "peer-mentoring offered" list, but mentoring doesn't quite
 > capture everything that's needed.
 >
 > Mentorship programs like Outreachy, cohort mentoring, and the First Contact SIG
 > are oriented around helping new people quickstart into the community, getting
 > them up to speed on basics and helping them feel good about themselves and
 > their contributions. The hope is that happy first-timers eventually become
 > happy regular contributors which will eventually be a benefit to the projects,
 > but the benefit to the projects is not the main focus.
 >
 > The way I see it, the TC Help Wanted list, as well as the new thing, is not
 > necessarily oriented around newcomers but is instead advocating for the
 > projects and meant to help project teams thrive by getting committed long-term
 > maintainers involved and invested in solving longstanding technical debt that
 > in some cases requires deep tribal knowledge to solve. It's not a thing for a
 > newbie to step into lightly and it's not something that can be solved by a
 > FC-liaison pointing at the contributor docs. Instead what's needed are mentors
 > who are willing to walk through that tribal knowledge with a new contributor
 > until they are equipped enough to help with the harder problems.
 >
 > For that reason I think neither the FC SIG or the mentoring cohort group, in
 > their current incarnations, are the right groups to be managing this. The FC
 > SIG's mission is "To provide a place for new contributors to come for
 > information and advice" which does not fit the long-term goal of the help
 > wanted list, and cohort mentoring's four topics ("your first patch", "first
 > CFP", "first Cloud", and "COA"[1]) also don't fit with the long-term and deeply
 > technical requirements that a project-specific mentorship offering needs.
 > Either of those groups could be rescoped to fit with this new mission, and
 > there is certainly a lot of overlap, but my feeling is that this needs to be an
 > effort conducted by the TC because the TC is the group that advocates for the

Thanks for writing it in a clear and with details which really help. +1 on not maintaining
it on mentoring or FC group side. I completely agree with this.

The main reason why I vote to maintain it on the projects side is that gives ownership
to the right people who actually need help. "Project_X need help, so they create and maintain
this list with proper mentor mapping".  They eventually get help if they maintain it
well with up to date item with mentor mapping. I am sure that most of the time,
mentor to the list items will be from the project team (I assume very few cases can be
from SIG or TC), which makes PTL or other leaders in the project team as good
candidate to manage the list than any central team.

This idea changes this list towards project wise help wanted from openstack
wise help wanted ( *openstack-*help-wanted -> *project-*help-wanted ) which
I feel should not be a concern as long as it serves the purpose of getting help and
complete some item.

Template or best place to link that list (in contributor doc or spec repo or in home page etc) is
something we can discuss as a second step.

TC maintaining this list is not so helpful or valuable in past. But Yes, the idea of peer-mentoring
is something much-need pre-condition for such effort either it is corporate or open source.
I am ok with trying it under TC with peer-mentoring idea and see how it goes.
Key point will be how closely the project teams involved in this effort with TC. If we win
in that step then, we can see some outcome.

-gmann