[cinder][nova][os-brick] os-brick initiator rename

Gorka Eguileor geguileo at redhat.com
Mon Feb 11 09:33:17 UTC 2019

On 07/02, Kulazhenkov, Yury wrote:
> Hi all,
> Some time ago Dell EMC software-defined storage ScaleIO was renamed to VxFlex OS.
> I am currently working on renaming ScaleIO to VxFlex OS in Openstack code to prevent confusion
> with storage documentation from vendor.
>
> This changes require patches at least for cinder, nova and os-brick repos.
> I already submitted patches for cinder(634397) and nova(634866), but for now code in these
> patches relies on os-brick initiator with name SCALEIO.
> Now I'm looking for right way to rename os-brick initiator.
> Renaming initiator in os-brick library and then make required changes in nova and cinder is quiet easy,
> but os-brick is library and those changes can break someone else code.
>
> Is some sort of policy for updates with breaking changes exist for os-brick?
>
> One possible solution is to rename initiator to new name and create alias with deprecation warning for
> old initiator name(should this alias be preserved more than one release?).
> What do you think about it?
>
> Thanks,
> Yury

Hi Yury,

That sounds like a good plan.

But don't forget that you'll need to add a new online data migration to
Cinder as well, since you are renaming the SCALEIO connector identifier.
Otherwise a deployment could have problems when you drop the SCALEIO
alias if they've had a very long running VM or if you are doing a
fast-forward upgrade.

Cheers,
Gorka.