[all][tc] Formalizing cross-project pop-up teams

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Feb 7 11:23:54 UTC 2019

Adam Spiers wrote:
> [...]
> Sure.  I particularly agree with your point about processes; I think the
> TC (or whoever else volunteers) could definitely help lower the barrier
> to starting up a pop-up team by creating a cookie-cutter kind of
> approach which would quickly set up any required infrastructure. For
> example it could be a simple form or CLI-based tool posing questions
> like the following, where the answers could facilitate the bootstrapping
> process:
> - What is the name of your pop-up team?
> - Please enter a brief description of the purpose of your pop-up team.
> - If you will use an IRC channel, please state it here.
> - Do you need regular IRC meetings?
> - Do you need a new git repository?  [If so, ...]
> - Do you need a new StoryBoard project?  [If so, ...]
> - Do you need a [badge] for use in Subject: headers on openstack-discuss?
> etc.
>
> The outcome of the form could be anything from pointers to specific bits
> of documentation on how to set up the various bits of infrastructure,
> all the way through to automation of as much of the setup as is
> possible.  The slicker the process, the more agile the community could
> become in this respect.

That's a great idea -- if the pop-up team concept takes on we could
definitely automate stuff. In the mean time I feel like the next step is
to document what we mean by pop-up team, list them, and give pointers to
the type of resources you can have access to (and how to ask for them).

In terms of "blessing" do you think pop-up teams should be ultimately
approved by the TC ? On one hand that adds bureaucracy / steps to the
process, but on the other having some kind of official recognition can
help them...

So maybe some after-the-fact recognition would work ? Let pop-up teams
freely form and be listed, then have the TC declaring some of them (if
not all of them) to be of public interest ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)