[Cinder][driver][ScaleIO]

Kulazhenkov, Yury Yury.Kulazhenkov at dell.com
Wed Feb 6 14:35:11 UTC 2019

Hi Martin,

Martin wrote:
> It seems you would always
> want to unmap the volume from the hypervisor before deleting it.
If you remove or shelve instance from hypervisor host, then nova will trigger ScaleIO to unmap volume from that host.
No issues should happen during deletion at this point, because volume is already unmapped(unmounted).
No need to change sio_unmap_volume_before_deletion default value here.

Martin wrote:
> What is the reasoning behind this option?
Setting sio_unmap_volume_before_deletion option to  True means that cinder driver will force unmount volume from ALL ScaleIO client nodes (not only Openstack nodes) during volume deletion.
Enabling this option can be useful if you periodically detect compute nodes with unmanaged ScaleIO volume mappings(volume mappings that not managed by Openstack) in your environment.  You can get such unmanaged mappings in some cases, for example if there was hypervisor node power failure. If during that power failure instances with mapped volumes were moved to another host, than unmanaged mappings may appear on failed node after its recovery.

Martin wrote:
>Why would we ever set this
> to False and why is it False by default?
Force unmounting volumes from ALL ScaleIO clients is additional overhead. It doesn't required in most environments.

Best regards,
Yury