[nova][qa][cinder] CI job changes

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 14:35:20 UTC 2019

I'd like to propose some changes primarily to the CI jobs that run on
nova changes, but also impact cinder and tempest.

1. Drop the nova-multiattach job and move test coverage to other jobs

This is actually an old thread [1] and I had started the work but got
hung up on a bug that was teased out of one of the tests when running in
the multi-node tempest-slow job [2]. For now I've added a conditional
skip on that test if running in a multi-node job. The open changes are
here [3].

2. Only run compute.api and scenario tests in nova-next job and run
under python3 only

The nova-next job is a place to test new or advanced nova features like
placement and cells v2 when those were still optional in Newton. It
currently runs with a few changes from the normal tempest-full job:

* configures service user tokens
* configures nova console proxy to use TLS
* disables the resource provider association refresh interval
* it runs the post_test_hook which runs some commands like
archive_delete_rows, purge, and looks for leaked resource allocations [4]

Like tempest-full, it runs the non-slow tempest API tests concurrently
and then the scenario tests serially. I'm proposing that we:

a) change that job to only run tempest compute API tests and scenario
tests to cut down on the number of tests to run; since the job is really
only about testing nova features, we don't need to spend time running
glance/keystone/cinder/neutron tests which don't touch nova.

b) run it with python3 [5] which is the direction all jobs are moving anyway

3. Drop the integrated-gate (py2) template jobs (from nova)

Nova currently runs with both the integrated-gate and
integrated-gate-py3 templates, which adds a set of tempest-full and
grenade jobs each to the check and gate pipelines. I don't think we need
to be gating on both py2 and py3 at this point when it comes to
tempest/grenade changes. Tempest changes are still gating on both so we
have coverage there against breaking changes, but I think anything
that's py2 specific would be caught in unit and functional tests (which
we're running on both py27 and py3*).

Who's with me?

[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-October/135299.html