[kolla] Debugging with kolla-ansible

Mark Goddard mark at stackhpc.com
Mon Feb 4 09:48:05 UTC 2019

On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 at 08:25, Eduardo Gonzalez <dabarren at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> You could use a custom image and change the image definition in ansible,
> ie for define a different image for neutron_server you would add a variable
> in globals.yml like:
>

> neutron_server_image_full: "registry/repo/image_name:mytag:"
>
> If what you are debugin is openstack code, you could use kolla dev mode,
> where you can change git code locally and mount the code into the python
> path
> https://docs.openstack.org/kolla-ansible/latest/contributor/kolla-for-openstack-development.html
>
> Regards

Just a warning: I have recently had issues with dev mode because it does
not do a pip install, but mounts the source code into the site-packages
/<python>/<package> directory, if there are new source files these will not
be included in the package's file manifest. Also this won't affect any
files outside of site-packages/<python>/<package>. I just raised a bug [1]
on this.

What I often do when developing in a tight-ish loop on a single host is
something like this:

docker restart <container>

You have to be careful, since if the service doesn't start, the container
will fail to start, and docker exec won't work. At that point you need to
delete the container and redeploy.

[1]  https://bugs.launchpad.net/kolla-ansible/+bug/1814515

Mark