[Openstack] [Nova][Glance] Nova imports flat images from base file despite ceph backend

Eugen Block eblock at nde.ag
Fri Feb 1 15:27:01 UTC 2019

Hi,

I'd like to share that I found the solution to my problem in [1].
It was the config option "cache_images" in nova that is set to "all"
per default. Despite changing the glance image properties of my images
to raw it didn't prevent nova from downloading a local copy to
/var/lib/nova/instances/_base. Setting "cache_images = none" disables
the nova image cache, and after deleting all cache files in _base a
new instance is not flat anymore but a copy-on-write clone like it's
supposed to be.

Sorry for the noise in this thread. :-)

Have a nice weekend!
Eugen