[Telemetry][TC]Telemetry status

Lingxian Kong anlin.kong at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 20:25:32 UTC 2019

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 2:08 AM Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>
wrote:

> Lingxian Kong wrote:
> > [...]
> > 1. Maybe Gnocchi is good, but it's not part of OpenStack, currently
> > there is no one in the Telemetry team shows any interest in maintaining
> > it, I'd be very happy to see if there is someone raises hand and say: I
> can
> > commit to spend some time on this project, fixing bugs, maintaining
> > document and answering questions either on IRC or via email. If yes, We
> > will see how it goes in this dev cycle.
>
> Is there any specific standing issue with Gnocchi that you are blocked
> on ? Or is it more of a general concern that you should not depend on an
> unmaintained project ?

Many people were asking for the cpu_util support that was in Ceilometer
but not in Gnocchi which is important in auto-scaling scenario, but no
one knows the history.

Gnocchi doc website is broken and no one is available to fix. No one
maintains Gnocchi CI.

Sometimes people are coming to #openstack-telemetry for questions or
potential bug report, but on one is answering, which makes people rather
disappointed.

> If it's the latter (and there is no real burning issue with it), it
> feels like forking or taking over Gnocchi, and then keep it barely
> functional enough for OpenStack use case might not be that much of work
> (compared to other options) and we might find volunteers in this thread
> to help.

+1
-
Best regards,