[Telemetry][TC]Telemetry status

Thomas Goirand thomas at goirand.fr
Tue Dec 17 15:05:49 UTC 2019

On 12/17/19 4:01 AM, Zane Bitter wrote:
> On 15/12/19 10:20 pm, Rong Zhu wrote:
>> 1.Add Ceilometer API back
>>      Since Gnocchi is out of OpenStack and is unmaintained, we need to
>> add Ceilometer API back again.
>
> This is concerning because even the people who wrote it don't consider
> it adequate to the job. That inadequacy has been the source of
> significant reputational damage to OpenStack in the past, and many folks
> (me included) are anxious to avoid a repeat.
>
> Telemetry is part of the TC "Approved Release" that is eligible for the
> trademark program; I think at a minimum the TC will want to remove the
> resurrected Ceilometer API from the "designated sections" that users are
> required to run to participate in any trademark program that includes
> the functionality in question. But I think that we should explore other
> ways of reducing the chance of anyone confusing this for a viable way of
> building a cloud, including possibly changing the name (Antediluvian
> API?) and having this part of the stack live outside of the official
> OpenStack project.
>
> I'm not clear on which parts of the API you plan to resurrect, but for
> example - wearing my Heat hat - after a long process of migrating
> Ceilometer alarm resources in Heat to Aodh ones (mostly involving
> breaking changes forced on us by the absence of a migration path in
> Telemetry), I have zero interest in turning around and going back in the
> other direction. I would infinitely prefer that we find a path to e.g.
> migrate to Monasca as the collector so that the community can speak with
> one voice about how to do metrics and alarming in OpenStack.
>
>> 2.Mongodb database backend support
>>    As this thread [0] discuss, there are still some users still use
>> mongodb as the database backend, we decide to add this support again.
>> License issue should consider and fix by user.
>
> So long as this is not the only backend available, I agree the licensing
> of MongoDB itself is not a concern for OpenStack (we have plenty of
> drivers that depend on even proprietary software in various places).
>
> The issue that Matthias alluded to in the thread is that Linux
> distributions are dropping MongoDB due to its non-free license, so it is
> not nearly as widely and easily available as it was in the past.
>
>> The OVH and Catalyst Cloud had fix the mongodb performance issue with
>> some mongodb changes.
>
> It's really hard to reconcile this with the information here (and
> especially in the linked slide):
>
> https://github.com/gnocchixyz/gnocchi/issues/1049#issuecomment-555768072
>
>> Gnoochi will still support as the backed. Other database (like
>> influxdb, ES....), we would happy everyone to submit patches to
>> support as the database backed in ceilometer.
>
> This is good to hear :)
>
> cheers,
> Zane.

Hi,

I very much share Zane's concerns. As a distribution package maintainer,
I will *not* re-add a ceilometer-api package.

What I don't understand is why you guys aren't taking over Gnocchi, or
attempt to use a better time series for Telemetry.

I also feel like you're trying to scratch your own itch with MongoDB and
Ceilometer API, rather than addressing the issues of the project for the
wider community, dismissing both what has been said the the previous
thread and what the previous maintainers are telling you (ie: that
Ceilometer-api + MongoDB is a very bad idea). Why not instead creating a
migration path from MongoDB to something more viable/reliable?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)