[neutron][devstack] Future of lib/neutron and lib/neutron-legacy

Brian Haley haleyb.dev at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 03:32:11 UTC 2019

Hi Slawek,

On 12/12/19 9:06 AM, Slawek Kaplonski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Few years ago (I don’t know exactly when it started as I wasn’t very active upstream than for sure) Neutron team started work on new neutron module for Devstack. See [1] for details.
> But since then this new module is still not ready to use. For example in gate jobs we are still using lib/neutron-legacy module as this new one is always causing some problems.
> Things in its current shape may be confusing for new Devstack users as in fact to deploy Neutron properly they should use lib/neutron-legacy instead of lib/neutron now.
> Personally I never really checked exactly what issues are there in fact but I do remember some issues with using lib/neutron e.g. on subnodes in multinode jobs - see [2].
>
> So I would like to ask a question what do You think we should do with it.
> Is there maybe any volunteer who would like to continue this work on adopting lib/neutron and to finally use it in gate jobs?
> Or if there is no anyone and we are all fine with using old module, maybe we should remove this lib/neutron and “undeprecate” and rename lib/neutron-legacy?
>
> [1] https://github.com/openstack/devstack/commit/2a242519f71e86416e78541826cac2b54fcd04a5
> [2] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/662480/

Thanks for looking at this again.  My initial thought is to complete the
work as it's so close, this topic has the remaining abandoned reviews,
https://review.opendev.org/#/q/topic:new-neutron-devstack-in-gate

I wish I remembered more about why we never finished, I only remember
bgpvpn needed some work, just don't remember much else.  Could
definitely do some of the reviews.

-Brian