[all] OpenStack V Release Naming Poll

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Sun Dec 8 20:52:48 UTC 2019

Hey everyone,

This is to officially announce the beginning of the CIVS poll to determine the "V" release name.

Since the Train release, we use a public poll. This means that rather than having a unique voting URL for each person, all voting can be done using the following URL:

 https://civs.cs.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/vote.pl?id=E_13ccd49b66cfd1b4&akey=39d9234da798e6a3

A public poll can mean that users behind NAT, proxy servers or firewalls may receive an error message saying that your vote has already been lodged. If this happens please try another IP.

Voting will officially end December 16, 2019 at 23:59 UTC. The results of the voting will be shared soon afterwards, but keep in mind there will need to be a marketing and legal review of any selected names before it is finalized.

Import Note On Name Review

There are a couple steps that I am consolidating from our official process [0]. I believe this to be harmless, but if anyone has any concerns about this please do raise them and we can discuss and avoid any issues for future elections. I will be proposing some updates to clarify our election process either way.

First, there is a discrete step for marketing review. I believe that can be done as part of the post-voting name review.

Second is to consult with the TC to have names removed. I also believe that can be done as part of the post-voting review, but also think that due to past concerns about this process it is best to allow voting on all of the names first, then determine if something is not appropriate.

I think this should be more efficient, but ultimately I determined this course of action due to not allowing enough time for step 6 of the process. For that I want to apologize to everyone sincerely. I do think (and hope) this will not be an issue, but again, please do not hesitate to raise concerns about this.

Sean

[0] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/release-naming.html