[TC] Right-sizing the Technical Committee

Jean-Philippe Evrard jean-philippe at evrard.me
Thu Dec 5 11:26:58 UTC 2019

On Wed, 2019-12-04 at 22:18 -0500, Zane Bitter wrote:
> On 4/12/19 6:50 pm, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> > Tangential to election scheduling but still on the topic of
> > election
> > planning, last cycle a bunch of folks jumped on the "let's shrink
> > the TC!" bandwagon *while* the election process was already
> > underway. That was of course not an appropriate time to talk about
> > changes to election parameters. But now(ish) *is* the right time.
> >
> > So to reopen that discussion we previously put a pin in, how many
> > TC
> > seats should we fill in the coming election, and how many should we
> > delete? There were a few different suggestions, some following a
> > less aggressive timeline than others. We would normally have 7
> > seats
> > up for grabs in the coming round... do we reduce it to 6 (and work
> > with an even-number-sized TC), or just 5 (targeting a TC of 11 for
> > Ussuri into "V")? Or something even more drastic like just letting
> > them all expire and filling none, immediately down-sizing to a TC
> > of
> > 6 members? Thoughts?
>
> This is pretty well-settled:
>
> https://review.opendev.org/681266
>
> (At least assuming we ignore the fact that JP merged it when it had
> only
> 8 of the 9 required votes, which I only just noticed. Naughty JP.)

You know I like being naughty!
However, I don't think I was it this time: For a TC of 13 members, 7 is
the simple majority. We had consensus too :)
I wrote this email to (shameless plug) remind that only 5 votes are
technically required for motions when we have 13 members [1], but I
generally try to reach the simple majority if possible.

Regards,
JP

[1]: https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/charter.html#motions