State of the Gate

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Tue Dec 3 13:53:04 UTC 2019

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 3:29 PM Matt Riedemann <mriedemos at gmail.com> wrote:

> Things are great! Surprise! I just wanted to let everyone know. Later!
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> Now that you've been tricked, on Halloween no less, I'm here to tell you
> that things suck right now. This is your periodic digest of issues. Grab
> some fun-sized candy bars and read on.
>
> I think right now we have three major issues.
>
> 1. http://status.openstack.org/elastic-recheck/index.html#1763070
>
> This has resurfaced and I'm not sure why, nor do I think we ever had a
> great handle on what is causing this or how to work around it so if
> anyone has new ideas please chip in.
the only theory i have on that is in the absense of any other indication
we could be running out of entorpy in the vm which can lead to https
connections failing. we might want to consider enabling the virtio
random number generator in
the gate vms.
https://github.com/openstack/glance/blob/master/etc/metadefs/compute-libvirt-image.json#L54-L59
this need to be enabled in the flavours too but low entroy can cass
ssl connection to fail
https://major.io/2007/07/01/check-available-entropy-in-linux/

> 2. http://status.openstack.org/elastic-recheck/index.html#1844929
>
> I've done some digging into this one and my notes are in the bug report.
> It mostly affects grenade jobs but is not entirely restricted to grenade
> jobs. It's also mostly on OVH and FortNebula nodes but not totally.
>
>  From looking at the mysql logs in the grenade jobs, mysqld is
> (re)started three times. I think (1) for initial package install, (2)
> for stacking devstack on the old side, and (3) for stacking devstack on
> the new side. After the last restart, there are a lot of aborted
> connection messages in the msyql error log. It's around then that
> grenade is running post-upgrade smoke tests to create a server and the
> nova-scheduler times out communicating with the nova_cell1 database.
>
> I have a few patches up to grenade/devstack [1] to try some things and
> get more msyql logs but so far they aren't really helpful. We need
> someone with some more mysql debugging experience to help here, maybe
> zzzeek or mordred?
>
> 3. CirrOS guest SSH issues
>
> There are several (some might be duplicates):
>
> http://status.openstack.org/elastic-recheck/index.html#1848078
> http://status.openstack.org/elastic-recheck/index.html#1808010 (most hits)
> http://status.openstack.org/elastic-recheck/index.html#1463631
> http://status.openstack.org/elastic-recheck/index.html#1849857
> http://status.openstack.org/elastic-recheck/index.html#1737039
> http://status.openstack.org/elastic-recheck/index.html#1840355
> http://status.openstack.org/elastic-recheck/index.html#1843610
>
> A few notes here.
>
> a) We're still using CirrOS 0.4.0 since Stein:
>
> https://review.opendev.org/#/c/521825/
>
> And that image was published nearly 2 years ago and there are no newer
> versions on the CirrOS download site so we can't try a newer image to
> see if that fixes things.
>
> b) Some of the issues above are related to running out of disk in the
> guest. I'm not sure what is causing that, but I have posted a devstack
> patch that is related:
>
> https://review.opendev.org/#/c/690991
>
> tl;dr before Stein the tempest flavors we used had disk=0 so nova would
> fit the root disk to the size of the image. Since Stein the tempest
> flavors specify root disk size (1GiB for the CirrOS images). My patch
> pads an extra 1GiB to the root disk on the tempest flavors. One side
> effect of that is the volumes tempest creates will go from 1GiB to 2GiB
> which could be a problem if a lot of tempest volume tests run at the
> same time, though we do have a volume group size of 24GB in gate runs so
> I think we're OK for now. I'm not sure my patch would help, but it's an
> idea.
>
> As for the other key generation and dhcp lease failures, I don't know
> what to do about those.We need more eyes on these issues to generate

so the ssh key generation issue may also be down to entorpoy.
i have not looked at those specific failueres but i did note in some failed
test in the past the we printed the kernel entropy in the guest and it
was like 36
so some other very low number(it should be in the hundreds). if we
have low entropy key generation will take
a long time. https://wiki.debian.org/BoottimeEntropyStarvation