[neutron][qa][tc] Databases used on CI jobs

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Aug 30 13:52:01 UTC 2019

On 2019-08-30 10:07:14 +0200 (+0200), Slawek Kaplonski wrote:
[...]
> And the question is - should we maybe switch somehow to Mariadb
> instead of Mysql? Should it be done globally or maybe it’s only
> “issue” in Neutron’s CI jobs? Or maybe we should have jobs with
> both Mariadb and Mysql databases?
[...]

The unfortunate reality is that there are multiple relational
database servers available for folks to try to use, and we can't
reasonably run automated tests against them all. The TC's 2017-06-13
resolution to "Document current level of community database support"
is the closest thing we have to guidance around this in recent
history:

https://governance.openstack.org/tc/resolutions/20170613-postgresql-status.html

At the time the challenge was that we couldn't reliably test
everything against both MySQL and PostgreSQL, and the user survey
showed an overwhelming majority of known deployments used MySQL. We
used the terminology "MySQL family of databases" to include MariaDB
and Galera (particularly because upstream support for MySQL had
waned in the wake of the Oracle acquisition and MariaDB was a recent
enough fork that it was basically a drop-in bug-compatible
replacement which some distros had even taken to misleadingly
relabeling as "MySQL").

That was more than two years ago. Fast-forward to the present and it
seems MariaDB and MySQL have diverged noticeably, as this recent
article suggests:

https://blog.panoply.io/a-comparative-vmariadb-vs-mysql

As such, it's probably time to revisit our database testing
requirements. I expect some of the challenge here is that CentOS 7
(and presumably other RH-derived distros) have "replaced" MySQL with
MariaDB. Since our Project Testing Interface requires that we test
against Latest Ubuntu LTS, Latest CentOS Major, and Latest openSUSE
Leap, that may be the best way to frame this discussion:

https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/project-testing-interface.html#linux-distributions

--
Jeremy Stanley