[openstack-dev] [oslo][i18n] Dropping lazy translation support

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Wed Aug 28 16:07:14 UTC 2019

On 8/28/19 5:13 AM, Luigi Toscano wrote:
> On Monday, 19 August 2019 19:17:08 CEST Ben Nemec wrote:
>> On 8/19/19 7:46 AM, Shengjing Zhu wrote:
>>> Sorry for replying the old mail, and please cc me when reply.

>>> I was pointed to this discussion when I tried to fix this feature in
>>> keystone, https://review.opendev.org/677117
>>>
>>> For #2 translated API response, this feature probably hasn't been
>>> working for some time, but it's still a valid user case.
>>>
>>> Has the decision been settled?
>>
>> Not to my knowledge. Lazy translation still exists, but I don't know
>> that anyone is testing it.
>>
>> Are you saying that you are using this feature now, or are you
>> interested in using it going forward?
>
> A related note: we nuked enable_lazy in sahara because it broke Python 3
> support in mysterious ways:
>
> https://review.opendev.org/#/c/626643/

Hmm, we did a bad thing in the Message API. :-(

We shadowed the built-in translate function, so if translate gets called
on a Message object it goes to our code instead of the stdlib code.

I proposed https://review.opendev.org/#/c/679092/ which would fix the
bug you saw. It's not perfect, but at least it mitigates the problem
since translate is part of the public API and we can't just rename it.