[all] [tc] [osc] [glance] [train] [ptls] Legacy client CLI to OSC review 639376

Michael Johnson johnsomor at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 22:11:26 UTC 2019

For Octavia, implementing an OSC plugin has worked out exceptionally
well. I have also got good feedback from users that OSC is much better
than the legacy clients in functionality and ease of use.

That said, I have spent some quality time with Dean (thank you again)
making sure we didn't stray from the OSC vision.

I think like any other guideline or standard in OpenStack we just need
to focus on documenting those guidelines and standards well (there are
already pretty good documents for this, thank you again to the OSC
team). Then it is up to us to pay attention to them and correct our
mistakes when we make them.

Personally I think all projects should be implemented as plugins. This
makes it "obvious" to users when they need a service functionality
they need to install the correct plugin. Currently we get "Why doesn't
the client support Octavia?" questions when we were one of the early
plugins. This also has the advantage of limiting the footprint of the
client install for deployments that don't need all of the services.
For example, I don't need object nor block storage. It would be nice
to not use the disk and tab completion space for those. One of the
nice things about the project team owning the plugin is you don't get
rogue patches merging that don't align to the project team vision ('-'
vs. "_" anyone?).

Michael