[openstack-dev][magnum] Using Fedora Atomic 29 for k8s cluster

feilong at catalyst.net.nz feilong at catalyst.net.nz
Fri Aug 23 18:56:49 UTC 2019

On 2019-08-24 02:58, Mohammed Naser wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 11:46 PM Feilong Wang <feilong at catalyst.net.nz>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> At this moment, Magnum is still using Fedora Atomic 27 as the default
>> image in devstack. But you can definitely use Fedora Atomic 29 and it
>> works fine. But you may run into a performance issue when booting
>> Fedora Atomic 29 if your compute host doesn't have enough entropy.
>> There are two steps you need for that case:
>>
>> 1. Adding property hw_rng_model='virtio' to  Fedora Atomic 29 image
>>
>> 2. Adding property hw_rng:allowed='True' to flavor, and we also need
>> hw_rng:rate_bytes=4096 and hw_rng:rate_period=1 to get a reasonable
>> rate limit to avoid the VM drain the hypervisor.
>>
>> We are working on a patch for Magnum devstack to support FA29 out of
>> box. Meanwhile, we're starting to test Fedora CoreOS 30. Please popup
>> in #openstack-containers channel if you have any question. Cheers.
>
> Neat!  I think it's important for us to get off Fedora Atomic given
> that RedHat seems to be ending it soon.  Is the plan to move towards
> Fedora CoreOS 30 or has there been consideration of using something
> like an Ubuntu-base (and leveraging something like kubeadm+ansible to
> drive the deployment?)-

Personally, I would like we can stay at Fedora Atomic/CoreOS since
Magnum has already been benefited from the container-based readonly
operating system. But we did have the discussion about using
kubeadm+ansible, however, as you can see, it's a quite big refactoring,
I'm not sure if we can get it done with current limited resources.