[nova][ops] What should the compute service delete behavior be wrt resource providers with allocations?

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 20:16:38 UTC 2019

On 6/13/2019 1:45 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> 2. Implement option #1 above where we fail to delete the compute service
> if any of the resource providers cannot be deleted. We'd have stuff in
> the logs about completing migrations and trying again, and failing that
> cleanup allocations for old evacuations. Rather than dump all of that
> info into the logs, it would probably be better to just write up a
> troubleshooting doc [2] for it and link to that from the logs, then the
> doc can reference APIs and CLIs to use for the cleanup scenarios.

It's been a couple of months but I finally got around to starting this
[1]. There are several TODOs in there but I've updated the functional
test to show we're no longer orphaning the resource provider. There are
also questions about what to do if we hit this in the compute manager
during an ironic node re-balance (different issue but it touches the
same delete_resource_provider code). I haven't started on a
troubleshooting doc yet since I'm waiting on the novaclient change [2]
to land which will be part of that (a CLI to find certain types of
migration records on the source compute).

[1] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/678100/
[2] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/675117/

Matt