[all][tc] A web tool which helps administrators in managing openstack clusters

Douglas Zhang lychzhz at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 10:14:36 UTC 2019

Hello everyone,

To help users interact with openstack, we’re currently developing a
client-side web tool which enables administrators to manage their openstack
cluster in a more efficient and convenient way. (Since we have not named it
officially yet, I’m going to call it openstack-admin)

*# Introduction*

Some may ask, “Why do we need an extra web-based user interface since we
have horizon?” Well, although horizon is a mature and powerful dashboard,
it is far not efficient enough on big clusters (a simple list operation
could take seconds to complete). What’s more, its flexibility of searching
could not match our requirements. To overcome obstacles above, a more
efficient tool is urgently required, that’s why we started to develop
openstack-admin.

*# Highlights*

Comparing with the current user interface, openstack-admin has following
advantages:

   -

   *Fast*: openstack-admin gets data straightly from SQL databases instead
   of calling standard openstack API, which accelerates the querying period to
   a large extent (especially when we’re dealing with a large amount of data).
   -

   *Flexible*: openstack-admin supports the fuzzy search for any important
   field(e.g. display_name/uuid/ip_address/project_name of an instance), which
   enables users to locate a particular object in no time.
   -

   *User-friendly*: the backend of openstack-admin gets necessary messages
   from the message queue used by nova, and send them to the frontend using
   websocket. This way, not only more realistic progress bars could be
   implemented, but more detailed information could be provided to users as
   well.

*# Issues*

To make this tool more efficient and provide better support for
concurrency, we chose Golang to implement openstack-admin. As I’ve asked
before (truly appreciate advises from Jeremy and Ghanshyam), a project
written by an unofficial language may be accepted only if existing
languages have been proven to not meet the technical requirements, so we’re
considering re-implementing openstack-admin using python if we can’t come
to an agreement on the language issue.

So that’s all. How do you guys think of this project?

Thanks,

Douglas Zhang