=?UTF-8?Q?Re:_How_are_we_managing_quotas, _flavors, _projects_and_more_acr?= oss large org Openstack deployments?

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Fri Aug 16 23:17:58 UTC 2019

On Fri, Aug 16, 2019, at 2:24 PM, Robert Lennie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a complete neophyte to this forum so I may have missed any earlier
> discussions on this topic if there have been any?
>
> I am currently working on a proprietary legacy (Django based)
> "OpenStack Operations Manager" dashboard system that attempts to manage
> quotas, flavors, clusters and more across a very large distributed
> OpenStack deployment for multiple customers.
>
> There are a number of potential shortcomings with our current dashboard
> system and I was wondering how other teams in other organizations with
> similar large Openstack deployments are handling these types of system
> management issues? The issues addressed are likely common to other
> large environments.
>
> In particular what tools might exist upstream that allow system
> (particularly quota and flavor) management across large distributed
> Openstack environments?
>
> I welcome any feedback, comments, suggestions and any other information
> regarding the tools that currently exist or may be planned for this
> purpose?

We are primarily cloud users not administrators but have been using the ansible cloud launcher role [0]. This has the ability to manage resources that are typically set by the administrator including quotas and flavors.

For image management we have nodepool [1] building images with disk image builder daily and uploading those images to the clouds we use.

[0] https://opendev.org/x/ansible-role-cloud-launcher/src/branch/master/tasks
[1] https://zuul-ci.org/docs/nodepool/operation.html#nodepool-builder

Hope this helps,
Clark