[all][tc] U Cycle Naming Poll

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Tue Aug 13 21:17:21 UTC 2019

On 8/13/19 2:45 PM, Jeremy Freudberg wrote:
> Even though I agree the process this time around was comedy of errors
> (or worse), I don't think switching to numeric releases is
> particularly wise... for example, more than once someone has reported
> an issue with Sahara and stated that they are using <some number>
> version of Sahara. Turns out that <some number> is actually the
> version of the OSA playbooks being used. Let's not add another number
> to get confused about into the mix.

We also use version numbers for our downstream OpenStack product, and I
believe others do as well. It's kind of nice to know that if someone is
talking about a numerical version they mean downstream, whereas a letter
means upstream.

Although I guess the other side of that is if upstream went to numbers
downstream could just match those. It would be a little weird because
we'd skip several major versions, but it could be done.

> Anyway:
> - I think that now with you having pointed out everything that went
> wrong and having pointed us towards the simple steps that should be
> followed instead, we ought to give ourselves one more try to get the
> process correct for "V". We really should be able to get it right next
> time and there's something to be said for tradition.
> - I did not see in the document about how to determine the geographic
> region (its size etc or who should determine it). This is an
> opportunity for confusion sometimes leading to bitterness (and it was
> in the case of U -- whole China versus near Shanghai).
>
> Just some thoughts.
>
> P.S.: Single letter (like "U", "V") doesn't work when we wrap the
> alphabet (as has already been observed), but something like "U21",
> "V22", ... "A27" seems to work fine.

It doesn't solve the problem of tooling that assumes names will sort
alphabetically though. I suppose we could go to ZA (all hail the mighty
Za-Lord!*), ZB, etc., but that seems pretty hacky. I think we're
ultimately going to have to make some changes to the tooling no matter
what we decide now.

* any Dresden Files fans here? ;-)