[all][tc] U Cycle Naming Poll

Mohammed Naser mnaser at vexxhost.com
Tue Aug 13 19:19:36 UTC 2019

> I do think the conversation about University could have been more clear.
> Specific yes/no answers and reasons would have been nice.  Instead of a
> single decision about whether it was included, I received 3 decisions
> with 4 rationales from several different people.  Either of the
> following would have been perfectly fine outcomes:

For transparency, I did not feel comfortable vetoing options,
expressed that I don't think it's my business to be picking what's in
and what's out.  To me, the steps that come *after* the poll were the
ones that decided which ones we ended up picking, that's why we have
voting that lets you pick more than one option, so we can back down to
second/third choices if need-be.

I chose to cast a vote in the TC poll with all options tied equally.
 While having said that, I'm pretty disappointed of the state that we
are currently in and I'm starting to lean towards simplifying the
process of name selection for releases.  However, I think it's
probably way too late to make these type of changes.  I feel partly
responsible because I spent a significant amount of time trying to
work with our Chinese community members (and OSF staff in China) to
make sure that we get the name choices right, but it seems that has
added too much delay and process in the system.

In retrospective, this was hard from the start and I think we should
have seen this coming much earlier, because the issue about no
romanization that starts with "U" was brought up really early on but
we didn't really take action on it.  As much as I am disappointed in
the outcome, I'd like us to turn it around and resolve this while
everyone's interests are invested in it right now to avoid the same
thing from happening again.  It's clearly not the first time this has
happened and this is a good time to rework that release naming
document.