[all][tc] U Cycle Naming Poll

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Mon Aug 12 21:57:42 UTC 2019

On 12/08/19 10:08 AM, James E. Blair wrote:
> Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> writes:
>
>> On 2019-08-11 10:30:32 -0700 (-0700), James E. Blair wrote:
>> [...]
>>> I still do believe that it meets all of the criteria.  In particular, it
>>> meets this:
>>>
>>> * The name must refer to the physical or human geography of the region
>>>    encompassing the location of the OpenStack summit for the
>>>    corresponding release.
>>>
>>> It is short for "University of Shanghai for Science and Technology",
>>> which is a place in Shanghai.  Here is their website:
>>> http://en.usst.edu.cn/
>> [...]
>>
>> This got discussed after last week's TC meeting during Thursday
>> office hours, and I'm sorry I didn't think to give you a heads-up
>> when the topic arose:
>>
>> http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2019-08-08.log.html#t2019-08-08T14:59:01
>>
>> One of the objections raised was that "University" in the name
>> "University of Shanghai for Science and Technology" was a general
>> class of place or feature and not a particular place or feature. But
>> as you pointed out in IRC a while back (and which I should have
>> remembered), there is precedent with the Pike cycle name:
>>
>>      Pike (the Massachusetts Turnpike, also the Mass Pike...)
>>
>>      https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Release_Naming/P_Proposals#Proposed_Names
>>
>> Another objection raised is that "OpenStack University" was the old
>> name for what we now call the OpenStack Upstream Institute and that
>> it could lead to name confusion if chosen. A search of the Web for
>> that name last week turned up only two occurrences for me on the
>> first page of results, both of which were lingering references in
>> our wiki which I immediately corrected, so I don't think that
>> argument holds.
>>
>> Then there was the suggestion that "University" might somehow be a
>> trademark risk, though in my opinion that's why we have the OSF vet
>> the preliminary winning results after the community ranks them (so
>> that the TC doesn't need to concern itself with trademark issues).
>>
>> It was also pointed out that each time we have a poll with a mix of
>> English and non-English names/words, an English name inevitably
>> wins. Since this concern isn't backed up by the documented
>> process[*] we're ostensibly following, I'm not really sure how to
>> address it.
>>
>> Ultimately I was unable to convince my colleagues on the TC that
>> "University" was a qualifying name, and so it was handled as a
>> possible exception to the normal rules which, following a poll of
>> most TC members, was decided would not be granted.
>>
>> [*] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/release-naming.html
>
> Thanks for the clarification.  The only point raised which should have
> any bearing on the process at this time is is the first one, and I think
> that has been addressed.

To be clear, the thing that stopped us from automatically including it
was that there was no consensus that it met the criteria, which exclude
words that describe a general class of Geographic feature. I regret that
you didn't get an opportunity to discuss this; I initially raised it in
response to you and I both being pinged[1], but we probably should have
tried to ping you again when discussions resumed during office hours the
next day. FWIW I never thought that Pike should have been automatically
included either, but nobody asked me at the time ;)

Once it's treated as an exception put to a TC vote, it's up to TC
members to decide if it "sounds really cool"[2] enough to make an
exception for. I think we can all agree that this is an extremely
subjective decision, and I'd expect that people took all of the factors
mentioned in this thread (both for and against) into account in their
vote. In the end, a majority of the TC decided not to add it to the list.

I hope that helps clarify the process that led us here.

cheers,
Zane.

[1]
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2019-08-07.log.html#t2019-08-07T15:21:10)