[sdk] Proposing Eric Fried for openstacksdk-core

David Shrewsbury shrews at redhat.com
Fri Aug 9 17:08:47 UTC 2019

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 5:26 PM Monty Taylor <mordred at inaugust.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I'd like to propose Eric Fried be made core on SDK.
>
> This is slightly different than a normal core proposal, so I'd like to
> say a few more words about it than normal- largely because I think it's
> a pattern we might want to explore in SDK land.
>
> Eric is obviously super smart and capable - he's PTL of Nova after all.
> He's one of the few people in OpenStack that has a handle on version
> discovery, having helped write the keystoneauth support for it. And he's
> core on os-service-types, which is another piece of client-side arcana.
>
> However, he's a busy human, what with being Nova core, and his
> interaction with SDK has been limited to the intersection of it needed
> for Nova integration. I don't expect that to change.
>
> Basically, as it stands now, Eric only votes on SDK patches that have
> impact on the use of SDK in Nova - but when he does they are thorough
> reviews and they indicate "this makes things better for Nova". So I'd
> like to start recognizing such a vote.
>
> As our overall numbers diminish, I think we need to be more efficient
> with the use of our human time - and along with that we need to find new
> ways to trust each other to act on behalf of the project. I'd like to
> give a stab at doing that here.
>
> Thoughts?
> Monty

I whole-heartedly embrace this experiment. Having worked with shade since
the beginning of time, and now sdk, I personally know how tremendously
difficult
it is to be (or even pretend to be) knowledgeable in all of the OpenStack
services
and code interacting with them. Let's bring in experts with a narrow focus
to help
with the pieces they know well.

-Dave