[qa][openstackclient] Debugging devstack slowness

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Tue Aug 6 16:38:48 UTC 2019

On Tue, 6 Aug 2019, Jeremy Stanley wrote:

> On 2019-08-06 08:49:17 -0700 (-0700), Clark Boylan wrote:
> [...]
>> One of the things I found was that using names with osc results in
>> name to id lookups as well. We can avoid these entirely if we
>> remember name to id mappings instead (which my POC does). Any idea
>> if your osc as a service tool does or can do that? Probably have
>> to be more careful for scoping things in a tool like that as it
>> may be reused by people with name collisions across
>> projects/users/groups/domains.
> [...]
>
> Out of curiosity, could OSC/SDK cache those relationships so they're
> only looked up once (or at least infrequently)? I guess there are
> cache invalidation concerns if an entity is deleted and another
> created out-of-band using the same name, but if it's all done
> through the same persistent daemon then that's less of a risk right?

If we are in a situation where name to id and id to name
translations are slow at the services' API layer, isn't that a
really big bug? One where the fixing is beneficial to everyone,
including devstack users?

(Yes, I'm aware of TCP overhead and all that, but I reckon that's
way down on the list of contributing factors here?)

freenode: cdent