[nova][ops] Documenting nova tunables at scale

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 20:19:23 UTC 2019

I wanted to send this to get other people's feedback if they have
particular nova configurations once they hit a certain scale (hundreds
or thousands of nodes). Every once in awhile in IRC I'll be chatting
with someone about configuration changes they've made running at large
scale to avoid, for example, hammering the control plane. I don't know
how many times I've thought, "it would be nice if we had a doc
highlighting some of these things so a new operator could come along and
see, oh I've never tried changing that value before".

I haven't started that doc, but I've started a bug report for people to
dump some of their settings. The most common ones could go into a simple
admin doc to start.

I know there is more I've thought about in the past that I don't have in
here but this is just a starting point so I don't make the mistake of
not taking action on this again.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1838819

Matt