[tc][all] Github mirroring (or lack thereof) for unofficial projects

Jim Rollenhagen jim at jimrollenhagen.com
Thu Apr 25 14:59:15 UTC 2019

Hi,

Now that the great OpenDev migration is done, we have a number of projects
on Github which are no longer mirroring and becoming stale. This includes:

- most repositories at https://github.com/openstack-infra
- any repository in https://github.com/openstack which is no longer in
https://opendev.org/openstack
- I think that's it, but there could be others.

The OpenDev and OpenStack teams have no plans to continue mirroring these
projects to Github; primarily because we don't have a corresponding Github
organization to put them in. However, teams can easily set up a mirror to
any location they like on Github:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2019-April/005007.html

The remaining question is what to do with the stale repos in the OpenStack
organization on Github. Right now, we plan to just archive them. This means
that the repository will be read-only, with a banner at the top saying it's
archived. If a project owner wants to transfer the project to another
Github organization, we can unarchive the project to do so, and they can
maintain the mirroring via Zuul.

If there's no wild objections to this plan, we'll go ahead with it soon.
Maybe the week after the Summit, unless someone in the OpenDev team has
spare cycles before that.

// jim