[placement][tripleo][kolla] Update on placement extraction from nova

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 19:34:10 UTC 2019

I put together an etherpad [1] for a Forum session at the upcoming
summit to go over what happened with placement extraction in Stein and
the plan for Train.

With help I was able to figure out where the extracted placement
packages are so it's good to know those exist.

Mohammed also gave me the status on OpenStack-Ansible but I'm less clear
on TripleO and Kolla.

I thought TripleO was supporting fresh installs with extracted placement
but gerrit is down and Lee is out today so I'm not sure, and I'm not
seeing anything about it in TripleO release notes.

I did find that the Kolla release notes say they support extracted
placement [2] but I'm not sure to what extent - is it just install from
source (pypi?) or also some package support? How about upgrades, i.e.
the data migration from placement-in-nova to extracted placement?

So if people from the TripleO and Kolla teams can reply here and clarify
I can get that back into the etherpad before the Forum session.

[1]
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/DEN-update-on-placement-extraction-from-nova
[2] https://docs.openstack.org/releasenotes/kolla/stein.html

Matt