[openstack-dev] [nova][xenapi][ptg] can we deprecate the xenapi-specific 'nova-console' service?

Eric Fried openstack at fried.cc
Thu Apr 18 21:33:15 UTC 2019

Scrubbing the Nova PTG agenda (hence addition of [ptg] subject tag), and
this is on it:

================
Can we remove the nova-console service? (mriedem)
The nova-console service is xenapi-specific and was deprecated in stein:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/610075/
There are, however, REST APIs for it:
https://developer.openstack.org/api-ref/compute/#server-consoles-servers-os-consoles-os-console-auth-tokens
So if we drop the nova-console service, the APIs would no longer work.
It seems our options are:
Delete the nova-console service and obsolete the REST APIs (410 response
on all microversions like what we're doingwith nova-cells and
nova-network APIs)
Deprecate the REST APIs on a new microversion but continue to support
older microversions - this means the nova-console service would live
forever.
Are people still using the nova-console service? Are there
alternatives/replacements for xen users? BobBall seemed to suggest there
was
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-October/135422.html
but it's not clear to me.

I'm looking for any excuse to remove things from the agenda, and this
seems like a good candidate, because we don't really stand to gain
anything by bringing it up at the PTG.

Does anyone a) object to removing the nova-console service; or b) think
we need to discuss it at the PTG?

Thanks,
efried
.