The python black project.

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Apr 18 15:51:10 UTC 2019

On 2019-04-18 11:55:11 +0100 (+0100), Sean Mooney wrote:
[...]
> the fact we have automated checking but not fixing of code style
> is one of the most irritating parts of working with openstack
> development personally.
[...]

Contrary to popular belief, the primary benefit we get from
automated style checks is *not* code consistency, it's reducing the
number of arguments and conflicting style recommendations reviewers
tend to have when we leave it up to them to decide how they think
someone else's patch should be written. With a style checker in
place we can more reliably tell reviewers to focus on function
rather than form, and to please keep their opinions about
indentation and quote choices to themselves.

Between projects (and even between branches of the same projects),
we already have a variety of linters at varying versions with a slew
of different per-project skips, choice of additional plugins and so
on. Code styles across the many hundreds of official Git
repositories in OpenStack aren't consistent and never have been, but
we still manage to produce much more readable, maintainable code
than most free/libre open source projects I've encountered. I for
one am willing to call that a win, and would prefer to focus on
producing software rather than producing whitespace and punctuation.
--
Jeremy Stanley