[placement][ptg] Allocation Partitioning

melanie witt melwittt at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 21:22:37 UTC 2019

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 20:12:36 +0100 (BST), Chris Dent
<cdent+os at anticdent.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Apr 2019, Jay Pipes wrote:

> [snip]
>
>>> +1 to all of this.
>
>> Yeah, +1 from me as well. Great point about the migrations being separate
>> consumer type than instance.
>
> For reference, there's also some discussion in IRC [1] with me, Dan,
> Jay.
>
> The summary, if I'm understanding correctly, is something like this:
>
> The thing we want is a "consumer type", it is used to distinguish
> one type of a consumer (and thus group of allocations representing a
> "workload") from another. For example "these allocations are for an
> instance", "these are for a migration".
>
> Different services will need to be in charge of the distinctions
> they want to make. We can't predict all those services and distinctions,
> therefore placement should not be authoritative on types, each
> service is.
>
> In any given deployment, collaborating services (like nova, neutron,
> ironic, cinder) would need to agree on how they are not overlapping.
> That's out of scope for the placement side of things, but not
> irrelevant generally.

I must admit that this last paragraph makes the idea of codifying the
consumer types in placement more appealing. Guess it's a trade-off on
where the effort goes. Projects collaborating to avoid overlap vs a
heavier process and implementation for placement to provide the consumer
types.

-melanie