[placement][ptg] Resource Provider Partitioning

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Tue Apr 16 19:29:14 UTC 2019

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019, Dan Smith wrote:

> I don't think there's anyone beating down the door needing this right
> now, but it's one of those things that will take a little time to filter
> in (since we have to shard-ify the existing data) and we can hardly even
> propose the conversation until it's at least planned. Most of the other
> services are going through a more painful "okay we need to shard our
> data" phase right now, so the longer we wait to do this, the harder it
> will be (and the more latency involved when we do). Easy for me to say,
> I know.

In a sense we're already sharded now, it's just that everyone is in
the same default null shard.

So, for the sake of making it explicit, what's wrong with:

* add a nullable shard column
* enable the openstack-shard header I suggested at the last ptg [1]
* let deployments start using that, but only if they want to. If
   they do all rp writes and queries use it.

There are probably plenty of things wrong with it, but if we write
it out then we can come up with the right solution fairly quickly.

[1] around line 259 in https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/nova-ptg-stein