[tc][all] Dropping py35 testing

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Mon Apr 15 15:33:54 UTC 2019

On Mon, 2019-04-15 at 09:21 -0500, Sean McGinnis wrote:
> > > we are good to drop the py35 testing.
> > >
> > > Train: Good to drop.
> > > I am going to push the patches to remove the py35 jobs from the master (which is Train now).
> >
> > so i asked this a number of months ago and at the time i did not get a concreate answer.
> > if we drop py35 testing that means we are increaseing our minium python 3 version to py36
> >

> Yes, following our policy of using the python version supported on the distros
> we target at the beginning of the cycle. the Stein minimum py3 version was
> Python 3.6 [0].
ok so we should we update teh setup cfg markers to reflect that?
we still state 3.5 on nova master
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/78e742662edd164c46382c31e106884762fed029/setup.cfg#L18-L19

> > so projects are free to use python 3.6 only feature correct once py2.7 support is removed.
> >

> Dropping py2 support is currently planned for the U release cycle.
yes i know what i was getting at is becauese we still have to support pyton 2.7 in train
the subset of lanague feautres we can currently use is what is support on python 2.7 and
also work son python 3.6

meaning we cannot use any python3 only feature until U.

> > i recently found out that nova does not work on py37 and if we have no testing for py35 then
> > its possible that we could also break there so if this goes ahead i want to carify that for train
> > the only supported python veriosn will by py27 and py36 unless we elect to add py37 support as a train
> > goal.
> > >

> Failures on py3.7 will need to be addressed as that is one of the Python
> runtimes required for Train [1].
i have not dug into the failure other than to know that the agent hangs or crashes when you boot a vm with
no error messages of any kind in journalctl.
so we will need to fix it but at this point it could be anything form eventlet not working properly to we have some
python27/36 only code on the spawn codepath.

the fact that even with devstack and debug loggin enabeld the output just stops makes i hard figure out whats actully
going on but i also have not dug into it much yet.