[heat][neutron] improving extraroute support

Bence Romsics bence.romsics at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 15:01:52 UTC 2019

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 4:39 PM Rabi Mishra <ramishra at redhat.com> wrote:
> I think this had been discussed on several occasions[1] before and one of the
> suggestions from the neutron team was to use compare-and-swap update api [2]
> to avoid race conditions.
>
> [1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-June/131020.html
>  [2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1703234

Thank you for your quick answer. I did read that previous discussion
and I did not properly understand why compare-and-swap was
recommended. To my understanding compare-and-swap allows a client to
detect a race with another, but it would not eliminate the races. All
clients would have to retry until success and with the current
OS::Neutron::ExtraRoute we do actively generate those races. That's
why I went in the directions mentioned in my original mail. Am I
missing something?