[release][stable][trove] Please add Lingxian Kong to trove-stable-maint group

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Fri Apr 12 14:57:49 UTC 2019

 ---- On Thu, 11 Apr 2019 21:39:45 -0500 Lingxian Kong <anlin.kong at gmail.com> wrote ----
 > On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 2:27 PM Matt Riedemann <mriedemos at gmail.com> wrote:
 > On 4/11/2019 3:47 PM, Lingxian Kong wrote:
 > >
 > > I've already replied in the patch, since you also mentioned the patch
 > > here, i think it's necessary also reply you here.
 > >
 > > That patch failed to get attention from other team members and the
 > > community who are not interested in such change, as the PTL, i have to
 > > merge it myself to not block other patches. At the same time, some users
 > > were complaining the current trove image build approach, which could be
 > > improved with that patch.
 > >
 > > If self-approved is something you disagree, I'd appreciate if you could
 > > offer some help for the review.
 >
 > I realize Trove is in a tough spot so I'm not trying to criticize and I
 > understand the frustration of waiting to get something merged that you
 > or your customers need. I don't have great answers for these problems. I
 > was simply trying to highlight the fact that while that patch may be
 > appropriate to merge on master it may not be appropriate to merge on
 > stable, so there are different rules if you're following the stable
 > policy and that's why cores on master aren't necessarily cores on stable
 > branches.
 >
 > Totally understand, thanks for the explanation. That's why I explained in the above email that it's not my original requirement to become a stale core, the first email was just a heading up to ask help for the stable branch review.
 >
 > At the same time I'm coming from a place where we try to enforce some
 > kind of standards across projects under openstack TC governance, and
 > trove is in a tough spot there.
 >
 > But as Mohammed pointed out, if Trove elects to *not* follow the stable
 > policy then we simply have to remove the "stable:follows-policy" tag
 > from governance and trove is free to backport as it pleases (I think?
 > Tony can correct me).
 >
 > In the current situation, i prefer to follow the ways that people who care about the project(I mean, Trove) and are willing to offer help to fix things should have the permission to merge patches to stable. So, according to https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/tags/stable_follows-policy.html#deprecation, as Trove PTL of Train dev cycle, can I ask to remove stable:follows-policy tag for Trove?---Cheers,Lingxian KongCatalyst Cloud Team

As Matt, Naser mentioned, you can do that anytime. But I am concerned that, adding the tag is always good but removing is definitely not. I want to understand, is this the only case based on which you are taking the decision to remove the  "stable:follows-policy" tag ? Or you think trove will have/need more cases like that?

-gmann