[chef] Renaming the Chef OpenStack project

Mohammed Naser mnaser at vexxhost.com
Fri Apr 12 14:56:17 UTC 2019

On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 7:58 AM Jens Harbott <frickler at offenerstapel.de> wrote:

> In order to clean up some inconsistencies in project naming I have
> submitted a request to the TC to update the name of the Chef OpenStack
> project to "openstack-chef"[0]. The reasoning for this is twofold:
>
>     a) It brings the name into line with other deployment projects
>        like "OpenStack Ansible" and "OpenStack Charms".
>     b) In addition there are sometimes drawbacks when there is an
>        embedded space in the name, so I opted for the hyphenated
>        version. Together with lowercasing everything this also has the
>        effect to match:
>             - The name of our central repository
>             - The name of our IRC channel
>             - Our project name on Launchpad
>
> Please let me know whether you agree with this change or if there are
> any objections.

I don't think I have too much of a problem with it but I can think of
a few consumers
who might want to mention if they're broken which are

- openstack-map / OSF website
- release team
- stackalytics(?)

I haven't dug into the history if we've ever done a similar rename,
but perhaps one
of our OpenStack historians can point to commits in the past where
we've done the
same and how it was dealt with in other places.

--
Mohammed Naser — vexxhost
D. 514-316-8872
E. mnaser at vexxhost.com