[placement][ptg] Gate health management

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Thu Apr 11 17:05:35 UTC 2019

---- On Mon, 08 Apr 2019 11:42:45 -0500 Chris Dent <cdent+os at anticdent.org> wrote ----

 > From the etherpad [1]:
 >
 > * We have to run grenade and tempest. They are both very very slow
 >    and very unreliable (compared to the other tests). That's a pain.
 >    How do we help fix it?
 >      * Profile where time is spent setting up devstack?
 >      * Figure out where the slowest tests are which aren't marked
 >        slow: http://status.openstack.org/elastic-recheck/#1783405
 >      * Figure out which (non-interop) tests in tempest could be split
 >        out to per-project repos or tempest plugins, i.e. if there are
 >        compute API tests which don't rely on other services or a
 >        hypervisor, and are just API/DB, they could be dealt with in
 >        nova functional tests instead.
 >      * Similarly: http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2018-December/000868.html
 >
 > The main thing to add here: We can come up with strategies on how to
 > fix it, but how can we assure that there is time/energy/people to do
 > that work?

Thanks Chris for bringing this up. This is the general problem faced by all projects running
tempest-full.

I have added a topic for QA PTG also to discuss the same where we can have all those projects
representative and find the best solution.

- https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/qa-train-ptg  ("How to make tempest-full stable")

-gmann