[tripleo] Scale up/down Ansible tasks

John Fulton johfulto at redhat.com
Wed Apr 10 22:29:19 UTC 2019

On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 5:58 PM Emilien Macchi <emilien at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Today I spent a bit of time on:
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tripleo/+spec/scale-down-tasks
>
> Which is basically adding the capability of running Ansible tasks before a node is removed during a scale down or after a scale-up.
> I'm focusing on the scale-down right now, as I know it's something people have been waiting for (e.g. RHSM unsubscribe, Ceph OSD tear down, Nova Compute, etc).
>
> I need inputs from folks now, on what kind of tasks would be needed, I will test them and make sure the interface we provide is enough. John, Olie, and Martin in copy have maybe some ideas, please let me know some examples of Ansible tasks that you folks want to run before a node is deleted in Ironic.

In the Ceph case ceph-ansible has playbooks to correctly handle the
scale down of different ceph services, e.g. delete a monitor [1] or
delete an OSD [2]. The process would be to generate a ceph-ansible
inventory, e.g. the same way we do when we scale up [3], and then
execute one of those playbooks with that inventory. Examples of
running these playbook are in Seb's blog [4].

This would be a great feature to have because if you don't tell the
Ceph cluster that a node is not part of it anymore, then it will want
to find it and not be happy if you just delete the node. It's better
to tell the ceph cluster not to worry about a particular node anymore
by running one of these playbooks before the node is deleted.

Thanks,
  John

[1] https://github.com/ceph/ceph-ansible/blob/master/infrastructure-playbooks/shrink-mon.yml
[2] https://github.com/ceph/ceph-ansible/blob/master/infrastructure-playbooks/shrink-osd.yml