[all] Removing privacy breaches in doc

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Wed Apr 10 13:07:57 UTC 2019

On Wed, 2019-04-10 at 14:42 +0200, Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
> On 4/10/19 2:26 PM, Sean Mooney wrote:

> > > I don't think it's any different. Both README and the index page serve as an
> > > introduction to the project. The same people will land at one of them, depending
> > > if they come from github/gitea or from docs.o.o
> >
> > you assume that devs read docs.o.o
>
> Well, I personally do read them all the time..
>
> > i personally much prefer reading the rst then the renderd html content
> > so i think they do have slight different auidence in that respect even if they have
> > the same contet.
>
> I think the audience will see whatever the search engine will lead them to.
> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=openstack+nova gives me 1. docs.o.o, 2. wiki, 3.
> github. Chances are very high I would check the docs rather then the source code
> first.
perhaps but my search engine for doc is
a.) grep ~/repo/openstack/nova
b.) github.com/<org>/<project>
c.) codesearch.openstack.org

that is not ture of all the docs i use
https://developer.openstack.org/api-ref/compute/
and the ohter api refs i almost exclcively view online
and i use https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/configuration/config.html
a reasonable amount but even then if will often check the source code.
ince we centralised all the config opts and move the documention into the code
https://github.com/openstack/nova/tree/master/nova/conf is jsut as fast

im not saying docs.o.o is not useful i do use it but the only source of docs i have
never used in distor or pypi packages.

anyway this is a little off topic the privacy concerns are obviosly vlaid in some respect
and i think we can like fine a path forward that suties everyone.

personlay i would not include any content in from the docs in the readme and instead just provide links
to the relevent sections.

for example i think the nova readme is is good as it is https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/README.rst
but i also get that you might not want to embed non local images.

i persoall woudl expect most people to read the readme either via gitub/pypi
or with nano/vim/emac/<beloved editor of choice> localy. i would not expect peopel to read a rendered
html form of the readme outside of github/pypi/gitea