[all][docs] season of docs

Stephen Finucane sfinucan at redhat.com
Wed Apr 10 10:45:39 UTC 2019

[Top posting]
Petr (Kovar) has kindly put me in touch with folks within Red Hat who
have worked on this in the past for other projects. They're able to
help with getting the submission out the door and have pointed to
Gnome's submission as a good example of what we need to do here:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Outreach/SeasonofDocs
Based of that, I guess the next steps are figuring out what projects
need the most help and putting together a list of ideas that we can
submit.
I can only really speak for nova and oslo. For nova, I'd like to see us
better align with the documentation style used in Django, which is
described in the below article:
https://jacobian.org/2009/nov/10/what-to-write/
The documentation structure we use doesn't allow us to map to this
directly but I do think there are some easy gains to be made:
 * More clearly delineate between admin-facing (/admin) and user-facing
(/user) docs
 * Expand the how-to docs we have to better explain common user and
admin operations, such as rebooting instances, rebuilding, attaching
interfaces, etc.

On top of that, there are some general cleanup things that need to
happen and just haven't.
 * [Technical] Audit our reference guide, which explains concepts like
cells v2, to see if these make sense to someone who's not in the
trenches
 * Generally examine the structure of the docs to see how easy it is to
find stuff (fwiw, I struggle to find things without Google so this is
probably a bad sign)

For oslo, I think our issue is less about documentation and more about
marketing (very few people outside of OpenStack know that reno is a
thing, for example, or that oslo.config exists and is as powerful as it
is) so there's nothing I'd really submit here. I'm willing to debate
that though, if someone disagrees.
Does anyone else have anything they'd like to get help with? If so,
please let me know (here or on IRC) and we can feed that into the
process.
Stephen