[PowerVMStackers][Winstackers][uc][tc] Encourage to transform from project to SIG

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Apr 9 13:44:41 UTC 2019

William M Edmonds - edmondsw at us.ibm.com wrote:

> On 4/9/19, 7:26 AM, "Thierry Carrez" <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:
>> SIGs can produce code. The difference with project teams is that our
>> project teams are organized around a specific component (Nova, Swift...)
>> or a horizontal software development function that applies to all those
>> components (QA, Documentation, release management, common libraries...)
>
> Honest question, what SIGs produce code in repos that they own/maintain separate from nova, etc.? Point me to those repos so we can talk examples? My understanding of SIGs is that they're primarily focused on requirements gathering and communication for their area of interest and then trying to drive corresponding changes into code that is actually owned/maintained by other teams like nova. I don't know of any SIG producing anything like what is produced/maintained by PowerVMStackers. Scrolling through the list of current SIGs [1], none of them sound like they're writing a lot of code that they own/maintain. Writing code that goes into nova, etc. sure, but not that they own/maintain independently. Maybe I'm just uninformed?

You can find the reference list of repositories attached to SIGs at:

https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/governance/tree/reference/sigs-repos.yaml

Most of those maintain documentation repos (and land their code into
existing repositories). Only the Security SIG currently maintains code
repos.

--
Thierry