[placement][ptg] Envisioning other technologies

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Tue Apr 9 13:04:48 UTC 2019

>From the etherpad [1]:

("My" in here is edleafe)

* The more we get into the complexities of modeling nested
   providers, the more it seems to me that we are not using the best
   technology for this task. My brief experiments with graph
   databases last year showed a great deal of promise, but the whole
   extraction process pushed that to the side.

* Perhaps we might try some parallel development, where resources
   are modeled in both relational and graph DBs. Then we might be
   able to compare the different solutions to complex queries on the
   same data sets.

This is an invitation to discuss other potentially useful
technologies, the relative cost of exploring them, and benefits we
might get from that exploration (even if we don't end up using the
other tech).

And anything else anyone else wants to add.

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/placement-ptg-train