[placement][ptg] code refactoring constraints and goals

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Mon Apr 8 18:37:33 UTC 2019

On Mon, 8 Apr 2019, Eric Fried wrote:

>> * Where is the balance between backport hurting churn and keeping
>>   the mix fresh?
>
> I'm not sure "fresh" is the heaviest hitter on the plus side. Making the
> code organized and crisp and usable (from a developer standpoint) and
> maintainable is the main thing to me.

Will come back to the rest of the message (summary: lgtm)  another
time, but I wanted to clarify "fresh": In my experience, the
community that surrounds code is better in a variety of ways when
_all_ the code managed by that community is visited regularly. One
of the easiest and most rewarding ways to do that visiting is to be
intentional about doing regular refactoring. Again, in my experience,
this process keeps everybody (old and new) up to date on what's
going on and regularly finds bugs, typos and inefficiencies in the
code and misapprehensions in the community.

All of which probably equates to "organized and crisp and usable"
but is more explicit about the mechanics that get it there and the
people surrounding it.