[OpenStack-I18n] Questions about Stein Dashboard UI translations

Ian Y. Choi ianyrchoi at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 04:11:51 UTC 2019

"Team activities with release" are described in
https://docs.openstack.org/i18n/latest/release_management.html ,
but let me first try to clarify more on I18n team activites with stable
versions in Zanata regarding project release activities.

Generally, there are two main reasons creating and maintaining stable
versions in Zanata:

1. Hard StringFreezes with RC1, RC2, and so on
  : checking translation is much better using stable versions(with
translation checksite, ideally)
  : That's why creating stable versions in Zanata is encouraged when
there is first stable-xx branch in project repositories

2. Maintaining translation bugs on stable branches
  : There might be translation bugs on released artifacts - tranlation
bugs can be fixed by editing stable versions in Zanata, syncing with
project repos, and releasing new artifacts on target stable branches.
  : Usually, after final real stable artifacts are announced, then
translations on stable versions from the first part are merged into
master version for the next release.

For the first part, Ideally, it would be excellent if there are enough
translation demand, stable version creation activities in Zanata,
translation activites on stable versions,
communications via I18n-release cross project liaison, and review
activities through translation checksite, and those are interactive
together.
If not, then I think I18n team needs to minimize the targets for such
purpose or think differently how I18n team reacts with final new stable
version creation.

For the second part, the glad news I wanna share is that now all stable
versions in Zanata now have content.
More details are described in below:

- Now projects mentioned in
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-i18n/2019-March/003382.html
should have "stable-stein" versions in Zanata
   : except "sahara-plugin-*" since there is no translated resource even
on master version -> I wanna set that those will be synced only for
master repos.

- Some stable document versions including "keystone, octavia-dashboard,
trove, watcher" projects were already filled translations from master
(thanks a lot, Andreas and/or Frank!),
   but a few of them still had releasenotes documents, which need to be
deleted on stable versions: "murano-dashboard, solum-dashboard, swift,
trove-dashboard, zaqar, zaqar-ui, zun-ui".

- One zh-CN translator did translations from empty content stable-stein
version for ironic-ui project. Since the content were actually the same
as master branch,
   I deleted stable-stein version on ironic-ui project, re-created
stable-version by copying from master version, and removed releasenotes
document on stable-stein version.

- Strangely, there are no releasenotes document on master version for
karbor-dashboard and neutron-lbaas-dashboard projects - need to be
investigated further.

As Train PTL, I will identify how much translations were for Stein
release and try to find better ways how I18n team can work well
regarding new release activites which will happen after around 6 months.

With many thanks,

/Ian