[charms] Enabling Neutron DVR & ovs

James Page james.page at canonical.com
Thu Apr 4 09:01:33 UTC 2019

Hi Emil

On Sat, Mar 30, 2019 at 1:55 PM Emil Larsson <Emil.Larsson at zetup.se> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I have been experimenting with the enable-dvr option in neutron-api. I
> cannot find a clear guide on how to configure this.
> However I have ran into some issues trying to figure out the configuration
> to enable dvr.
>
> This is where juju stops:
> unit-neutron-openvswitch-1: 11:45:35 INFO
> unit.neutron-openvswitch/1.juju-log Creating bridge br-int
> unit-neutron-openvswitch-1: 11:45:35 INFO
> unit.neutron-openvswitch/1.juju-log Creating bridge br-ex
> unit-neutron-openvswitch-1: 11:45:36 DEBUG
> unit.neutron-openvswitch/1.juju-log Replacing iface 'eno1' with bond master
> 'os'
> unit-neutron-openvswitch-1: 11:45:36 DEBUG
> unit.neutron-openvswitch/1.juju-log Replacing iface 'eno2' with bond master
> 'os'
> unit-neutron-openvswitch-1: 11:45:36 DEBUG
> unit.neutron-openvswitch/1.juju-log Replacing iface 'eno3' with bond master
> 'stor'
> unit-neutron-openvswitch-1: 11:45:36 DEBUG
> unit.neutron-openvswitch/1.juju-log Replacing iface 'eno4' with bond master
> 'stor'
> unit-neutron-openvswitch-1: 11:45:37 INFO
> unit.neutron-openvswitch/1.juju-log Creating bridge br-data
> unit-neutron-openvswitch-1: 11:45:37 DEBUG
> unit.neutron-openvswitch/1.juju-log Interface os.392 is not a Linux bridge
> unit-neutron-openvswitch-1: 11:45:37 INFO
> unit.neutron-openvswitch/1.juju-log Adding port os.392 to bridge br-data
> unit-neutron-openvswitch-1: 11:45:37 DEBUG
> unit.neutron-openvswitch/1.config-changed Failed to restart
> os-charm-phy-nic-mtu.service: Unit os-charm-phy-nic-mtu.service not found.

That restart failure is a bit of a red-herring (and needs tidying) - it
relates to a tactical fix for MTU configuration of interfaces in Trusty
(for which we are due to drop support this year).

snip
[...]

> Any help appreciated :)

The current release of OpenStack Charms still requires use of the
neutron-gateway charm for snat traffic routing; that said we have
gateway-less features currently in development which allow the agents
managed by the neutron-openvswitch charm to be configured for snat routing
as well, removing the need for the gateway.

Here is a bundle based on the openstack-base bundle which I've been testing
with:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/nsx86snZpb/

Obviously the network space binding, storage configuration and maas tags
are all specific to my testing environment - but it demonstrates how to get
this working.

HTH

Regards

James