[dev][tc][all] Train Goal Schedule and Update

Lance Bragstad lbragstad at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 16:59:11 UTC 2019

Hi all,

Since the community goal selection process has taken a turn, we wanted
to send  an update regarding the current goals. We originally wanted to
have the goals for Train be merged by this point to give project teams
ample time to plan for them accordingly in their PTG scheduled. Due to
discussions raised in each [0][1], it doesn't sound like either will be
making it into Train as a feasible community goal. Fortunately, a couple
of last minute goals might be a perfect fit for Train, instead of having
a release without any community goals.

The first one suggested is to render documentation as PDFs [2]. The
second goal, which still needs to be proposed, is for IPv6 support. The
advantage is that both of these goals are much smaller in scope, but
still useful. We're running up against the clock on getting goals
selected for Train, but we still have an opportunity to come to
agreement on the new proposals before the PTG.

We'd like to ask TC and members of the community to review the proposed
goals at their earliest convenience. Additionally, if someone wants help
write up the IPv6 support goal [3][4], please reach out gmann and
mnaser. Even though we were originally trying to make sure we had firm
goals well before the PTG, the reduced scope of the new goals should
make them easier to talk about in impromptu sessions or the hallway track.

Thanks,

JP & Lance

[0] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/639376/
[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/639010/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/647712/
[3] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2019-03-28.log.html#t2019-03-28T15:10:36
[4] Note that this goal is for testing IPv6 networking setups in all
projects. We already have a tempest full ipv6 job, it would be a matter
of making these jobs passing and voting in the future.