[Gerrit][Infra] Marking bot comments in email headers?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Apr 2 14:21:31 UTC 2019

On 2019-04-02 14:11:11 +1100 (+1100), Michael Still wrote:
> wouldn't it be cool if we could somehow mark email from gerrit
> that came from a bot? Or inversely, call out email sent by a human
> somehow. That way I could null route all the bot spam and suddenly
> gerrit email would be useful again.
>
> Is this a thing upstream gerrit supports at all?

The way CI systems and similar automation currently provide feedback
on Gerrit changes is to authenticate with a regular account and
submit a comment just like any normal user. To counter this, we long
ago developed standard naming conventions for those accounts to
simplify client-side filters. We have a couple of outliers ("Zuul"
and "Elastic Recheck") but otherwise you should be able to trust
that any account ending in " CI" or " Bot" is from an automated
source. On my personal mailserver I use filter rules matching on
"$USER has posted comments" in the message body (when found in a
message with a "review.openstack.org" List-Id header) to catch the
bulk of these.

I gather Gerrit's upstream maintainers are working on a new
mechanism specially designed for handling result reporting from CI
systems, so this is probably a great time to engage and suggest that
any E-mail notifications triggered by that feature include easily
parsed headers identifying them as such.
--
Jeremy Stanley