qemu emulation or virtualiztion, which one is it using?

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Tue Apr 2 09:32:33 UTC 2019

On Tue, Apr 02, 2019 at 06:37:48AM +0000, Manuel Sopena Ballesteros wrote:
> Ok,
>
> Thank you for your prompt response. I can see this in the nova.conf file:
>
> [libvirt]
> virt_type = kvm
>
> Can I assume qemu is using virtualization through kvm?

If `virt_type = kvm` is set, then yes, your instance should be using
KVM.

You can confirm it in a couple of ways:

  - Check that your Nova instance's QEMU process has this in its QEMU
    command-line: "-machine accel=kvm".  (`ps -ef | grep qemu`, and look
    for the relevant process.)

  - SSH into your instance, run `systemd-detect-virt` (or `virt-what` if
    you have it).  It should report 'kvm', if KVM is really being used.

[...]

--
/kashyap